Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing Exam Review
Download .PDF Back to List
This seminar is designed to provide the healthcare provider with a comprehensive review of Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing Principles. The principle objectives of the course include enhancing professional nursing practice in Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing as well as providing an outline for nurses preparing for the Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing Exam. The course follows the outline and core curriculum recommended by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Case presentations will be presented to enhance critical-thinking skills and enhance knowledge of evidence-based practice in psychiatric settings.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program prepares the learner to:
- Describe principles of professional nursing practice in Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing.
- Review concepts that provide the foundation for Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing practice.
- Discuss diagnostic criteria and assessment tools utilized to differentiate Psychiatric–Mental Health disorders across the lifespan.
- Identify therapeutic interventions and treatment modalities in Psychiatric–Mental Health Nursing.
- Recognize special populations at risk for developing Psychiatric–Mental Health complications.
Sign-in begins at 7:30 am. Each day includes a one-hour lunch (on your own), as well as a morning and afternoon break of 15 minutes each. The order of lectures presented and break times may vary according to speaker preference.
Day 1, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Theories and Frameworks for Psychiatric Nursing Practice
Theories from Personality Development | Theories from Psychology | Nursing Theory Frameworks
- Communication and the Nurse-Patient Relationship
Therapeutic Communication Skills | Barriers to Communication | Therapeutic Relationships
- Evidence-Based Psychiatric Nursing
Assessment | Diagnosis | Outcome Identification | Planning and Implementation, Evaluation
- Provision of Care
Scope of Practice for Psychiatric Nursing | ANA Code of Ethics | Legal Aspects of Psychiatric Nursing | Culturally Competent Care | Pain Management
- Leadership and Management
Roles of a Nurse Leader | Leadership Style | Leadership Power | Conflict Resolution Skills
Research: Scope of Practice | Five Steps of Evidence-Based Practice | Ethical Considerations in Research
- Disease Prevention, Health Promotion and Education
Theoretical Frameworks in Preventative Psychiatry | Levels of Prevention | Safety Issues | Patient Education, The Learning Process
Day 2, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Treatment Modalities
Behavioral Concepts and Strategies | Individual and Group Therapies | Family Therapy | Milieu Therapy | Alternative Therapies | Crisis Intervention | End-of-Life Care
- Psychiatric Disorders
Mood Disorders | Anxiety Disorders | Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders | Cognitive Disorders | Substance-Related Disorders | Personality Disorders | Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics | Antipsychotics | Antidepressants | Antimanic and Mood Stabilizers | Anxiolytics | Cognitive Enhancers for Dementia | Over-the-Counter, Complementary or Herbal Agents