Maternal Newborn Nursing Exam Review
Download .PDF Back to List
Presented in lecture format, this course reviews topics for the National Certification Corporation (NCC) examination “Maternal Newborn Nursing.” Elements of the examination are discussed, followed by a review of the content. The major components include disease processes during pregnancy, maternal and fetal complications, postpartum and neonatal assessments. Practice questions are integrated throughout the presentation.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program prepares the learner to:
- Describe the Maternal Newborn Nursing Exam, test plan and the practice requirements to sit for the exam.
- Construct a study plan for the exam based on understanding the blueprint and domains of practice covered.
- Identify common mistakes and pitfalls that are made during studying and testing for the exam.
- Recall the core components covered in the exam through didactic supplementation and test questions.
Sign-in begins at 7:30 am. Each day includes a one-hour lunch (on your own), as well as a morning and afternoon break of 15 minutes each. The order of lectures presented and break times may vary according to speaker preference.
Day 1, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Understanding the NCC Examination
Preparing for the Examination | Taking the Examination | Reference Review
- Factors Affecting Maternal and Neonatal Outcomes (Antenatal Factors)
Age | Nutrition | Obstetrical History | Physiologic Changes During Pregnancy
- Antepartum Risk Factors and Complications
Disease Processes | Hypertension | Diabetes | Cardiac Disease | Infectious Disease | Anemia | Substance Abuse | Preterm Labor | Multiple Gestation
- Fetal Assessment
Ultrasound | Non-Stress Test | Biophysical Profile | Lung Maturation Studies | Alpha-Fetoprotein, Triple Screen
- Intrapartal Factors
Medications in Labor | Complications of Labor | Cord Gases
Day 2, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Maternal Assessment and Management in Postpartum Period
- Nursing Care and Education
Comprehensive Postpartum Assessment | Common Postpartum Problems | Postpartum Depression | Hemorrhage | Infections | Thrombophlebitis
- Lactation and Newborn Feeding
Anatomy and Physiology | Hormonal Influences | Breastfeeding Complications | Bottle Feeding
- Newborn Assessment and Management
Transition to Extrauterine Life | Neonatal Resuscitation | Thermoregulation
- Physiological Changes and Physical Assessment
Gestational Age | Neurobehavioral | Systems Review and Complications
- Aspects of Professional Practice
Ethical Principles | Nursing Liability