CMC® Exam Review
Download .PDF Back to List
This two-day seminar has been developed to prepare nurses for the Subspecialty Certification in Cardiac Medicine (CMC®) Exam. The seminar may also be used to provide education regarding acute and chronic cardiac disorders for all healthcare workers. The agenda content has been adopted based on the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) test blueprint for the CMC® Subspecialty Exam. The content will be based on current guidelines from the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association. A case study approach will be used to comprehensively evaluate the assessment and management of cardiac patients.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program prepares the learner to:
- Describe the Subspecialty Certification in Cardiac Medicine Exam, test plan and the practice requirements to sit for the exam.
- Construct a study plan for the exam based on understanding the blueprint and domains of practice covered.
- Identify common mistakes and pitfalls that are made during studying and testing for the exam.
- Recall the core components covered in the exam through didactic supplementation and test questions.
Sign-in begins at 7:30 am. Each day includes a one-hour lunch (on your own), as well as a morning and afternoon break of 15 minutes each. The order of lectures presented and break times may vary according to speaker preference.
Day 1, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Introduction: AACN Certification
Test Requirements | Test Blueprint | Test-Taking Strategies
- Cardiac Anatomy and Physiology Review
The Essentials | Anatomy: The Heart and Great Vessels | Coronary Artery: Anatomy and Physiology | Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Systems | Electrical and Mechanical Function
- Cardiac Assessment
Critical Components | Cardiac, Vascular Assessment | Hemodynamics | ECG
- Cardiac Pathophysiology
Coronary Artery Disease | Assessment | Diagnosis and Treatment Modalities
- Heart Failure
Incidence and Statistics | Diagnosis | Treatment Modalities
- Valvular Disease: Physical Findings, Diagnosis, Treatment
Mitral Stenosis/Insufficiency | Aortic Stenosis/Insufficiency
Day 2, 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Introduction to Cardiac Surgery and Medical Intervention
Interventions | Treatment Summary of Coronary Artery Disease and Heart Failure
- Indications for CABG and/or Valve Repair or Replacement
Preoperative Assessment | Perioperative Period | Techniques of Surgery | Effects of Bypass | Effects of Hypothermia
- Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
Postoperative and Procedural Care | Goals | Immediate Interventions | Complications | Bleeding | DIC | Blood Products | Low Cardiac Output Syndrome
- Right Ventricular Failure and Pulmonary Hypertension
Pulmonary Complications | Neurological Complications | Renal Complications | Gastrointestinal Complications