CHFN Exam Review
Download .PDF Back to List
This course is designed to review the core curriculum content for the heart failure certification offered by the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses. By the end of the day, you will have learned the skills and strategies necessary to successfully master CHFN content and exam questions. The course assists the participant in ensuring that he or she has received, reviewed and practiced an understanding of the content and has a knowledge base to sit for the exam.
Program Learning Outcomes
This program prepares the learner to:
- Integrate evidence-based heart failure care into daily clinical practice.
- Engage heart failure patients in optimal self-care management.
- Construct a study plan for the successful completion of the heart failure nursing certification exam.
- Enhance heart failure patient outcomes through application of new knowledge and skills.
Sign-in begins at 7:30 am. The day includes a one-hour lunch (on your own), as well as a morning and afternoon break of 15 minutes each. The order of lectures presented and break times may vary according to speaker preference.
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Reduced LVEF vs. Preserved LVEF
Definition of Heart Failure | Epidemiology | Systolic Dysfunction | Diastolic Dysfunction
- NYHA Classification System and ACC/AHA Stages of Heart Failure
- Pathophysiology of Heart Failure and Compensatory Mechanisms
SNS | RAAS | Ventricular Remodeling | Cycle Progression | Natriuretic Peptides
- Physical Assessment and Diagnostic Results
Extra Heart Sounds | Jugular Venous Assessment | Lab Values | Chest X-Ray | Echocardiogram | Invasive Studies
- Pharmacological Treatment Strategies
Beta Blockers | ACE Inhibitors | Angiotensin Receptor Blockers | Aldosterone Antagonists | Digoxin | Hydralazine and Isosorbide Dinitrate | Diuretics | New Agents \ Medications to Avoid
- Acute Decompensated Heart Failure
Criteria for Hospitalization | Causes of Decompensation | Hemodynamic Assessment | Vasoactive Medications | Impact of Pharmacological on LV Function | Additional Treatment Considerations | Criteria for Discharge
- Stage D (Advanced Heart Failure)
Criteria | Hospice vs. Palliative Care | Home Inotropic Therapy | Advanced Therapies
- Comorbid Conditions
Atrial Fibrillation | Mitral Valve Regurgitation | Aortic Stenosis | AKI and CKD | Diabetes | Sleep Apnea | HTN | CAD | COPD | Depression | Anxiety
- Self-Care Management
Healthcare Literacy Issues | Caregiver Involvement | Educational Content | Self-Care Management vs. Self-Care Maintenance
- Quality Standards and Readmission Reduction Strategies
Quality Indicators | HF Accreditation and Certification | Readmission Avoidance | Transitions of Care | Medication Reconciliation | Interdisciplinary Collaboration Across Continuum | Disease State Management
- Assess Knowledge of Above Topics
Interactive Practice Questions | Open Discussion